Install Saros for Eclipse
- Saros requires Java SE 8 or higher
- Saros is developed and tested using Eclipse 4.6, but it should work on any newer version without problems.
- Saros ought to run on all platforms that can execute Eclipse cleanly.
- If you want to try Saros, you may use our public XMPP/Jabber server
saros-con.imp.fu-berlin.de. However, if you want to use Saros for commercial purposes, we recommend setting up your own XMPP server for maximum control over all exchanged data.
Via Eclipse Marketplace
You can install Saros from the Eclipse Marketplace website or from within Eclipse:
- Open Eclipse
- Open the marketplace: Menu > Help > Eclipse Marketplace…
- Search for “Saros”
- Click on the “Install” button
Via Update Site
The Eclipse plugin update site is: https://www.saros-project.org/update-site/eclipse
- Open Eclipse
- Open the software updates manager: Menu > Help > Install New Software…
- In the Available Software wizard select Add
https://www.saros-project.org/update-site/eclipsein the Location field; press OK
- Choose the plugin in the the list of available software and select it
- In the next window select Next to confirm installation
- Accept the license agreement and select Finish
- Restart Eclipse
- Download the latest saros-dropin-*.zip from GitHub.
- Uncompress the archives into the dropins folder of your Eclipse installation.
- Restart Eclipse.
Good to know
- Please note that Saros requires higher bandwidth and lower latency than normal chatting, so public chat servers might be too slow for smooth operation of Saros.