Setup Own XMPP Server
If you are an experienced user or if you want to use Saros in your company and you want to use another XMPP Server or set up your own with Openfire, you will find information below.
In order to use Saros you need to configure an XMPP/Jabber account.
- It is recommended to use the same XMPP server for all users which participate in a Saros session, because our tests have shown that many public XMPP servers use outdated software and certificates. Thus in many cases communication between federated servers will fail.
- If you want to use Saros in a company or with more than one peer, we recommend using your own XMPP server. From our own testing we can recommend OpenFire (others such as ejabberd should be suitable as well)
Suitable Jabber servers
- The following public Jabber servers have been tested to work reliably with no known problems:
- The following public Jabber servers have known minor issues, but should work in general:
- List of other public servers
Openfire installation (Windows)
- Download Openfire for Windows
- The installation requires administrator privileges.
- When the installation wizard asks about database settings choose the embedded database.
- Enable the proxy service under Server > Server Settings > File Transfer Settings. (Should be the default value but it had to be disabled for Saros in the past.)